The Núria Rack Railway Train celebrates its 90th anniversary in 2021, being the quintessential transport of the valley and the only way to access the Vall de Núria mountain resort.
The Rack Railway, which annually receives more than 280,000 visitors, makes a journey of 12.5 km and overcomes a drop of 1,000 meters in 40 minutes. The Rack Railway is a sustainable medium that does not produce CO2 emissions into the atmosphere, as its electricity consumption comes from solar energy.
On March 22, 1931, the Rack Railway de Núria was inaugurated, a railway with exceptional technical characteristics that soon became a benchmark among mountain railways throughout Europe.
The increase in pilgrims visiting the Sanctuary of Núria and the growth of winter sports had highlighted the need for a means of transport to reach the Vall de Núria, until then only accessible on foot. The inauguration was initially to have king Alfons XIII, who was unable to attend due to political instability that culminated in his exile and the proclamation of the Second Republic.
Ferrocarrils de la Generalitat de Catalunya (FGC) took over its management in 1986, which led to an extensive modernization process that involved the arrival of new rolling stock and the modernization of the facilities. Four new automobiles were put into service, locomotives and passenger cars were modernized, workshops were built and tracks were replaced.
Years later, the new Ribes-Enllaç depot was built, the Queralbs station was remodeled, the new Roc del Dui tunnel came into service and new cars were acquired.
Discover what the Núria Rack Railway train was like in the beginnings
This book shows the route of the Rack Raiway de Núria. Since its construction in 1930, when the rise of the Vall de Núria required a means of transport to access this unique space, and until the arrival of FGC to take care of its management.
The characteristics of its engine and mobile equipment, the H12 hybrid locomotive and the Matterhorn Swiss passenger cars are also detailed. As well as the modernization process of Vall de Núria and the BEH 4/8 motor vehicles.
Coinciding with this anniversary, a commemorative exhibition on the history of the Rack Railway Train is held
WHERE IS THE EXHIBITION?
The exhibition has two exhibition spaces:
WHAT WILL YOU FIND?
The exhibition at Ribes Vila station will be permanent.
We hope that, with your skills, you can help us solve two mysteries related to the Núria Rack Railway train and, of course, that you help us catch it!
· Participation in the game will be open from June 11 to November 1, 2021
Requirements to participate:
1. Visit the two exhibitions: in the Vall de Núria and in the station of Ribes Vila
2. Scan the QR code for the exhibition or access the website valldenuria.cat/misteris-del-cremallera
3. Fill in the participation form that appears at the end of the game
What to do: You have to solve these two mysteries:
· Mysteries 1: "CAPTURE!" - Find the Nigmatic before he can pollute the Núria River and escape. Look for the clues in the Vall de Núria exhibition.
· Mystery 2: "DISAPPEARED" - The Interpol president has been kidnapped by Nigmatico. Will you be able to rescue her? Follow the tracks you will find in the exhibition at Ribes Vila station.
· We will draw a return ticket to the Núria Rack Railway for 2 people among everyone who achieves a minimum score of 7 hits in the two mysteries posed.